Clear all

Kimsufi - Unable to install Windows Server 2016 Standard Eval

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Firav
(@firav)
Topic starter

Template Name: Microsoft_Windows_Server_2016_Standard_Evaluation_64-bit_US_English.gz
Vendor: Kimsufi
Vendor Service Package: Not entirely sure.
Physical or Virtual: Physical? (KS-11 package)
Storage: SoftRaid  4x2TB
Error Information:
I've been unable to locate any error along with this. I'm attempting to install the template in accordance with this guide, but every time I finish the guide and wait for the Windows instance to pop online, I get no response from RDC. I don't think the template is installing, and it may have to do with the configuration of the storage. Im not entirely too familiar with this technical side of stuff when it comes to installing templates. Anyone have ideas on what may be going wrong?

Posted : February 27, 2022 3:02 am
(@apowers98)

Hi Firav,

I am having the same issue as you are. If you run "parted" then "print all" in the rescue SSH, we can see 4x2TB hard drives. The script I am certain is only installing to one of them. So I have tested installing to the first two at the same time (trying to figure out which one Kimsufi chooses to boot of of) and it still will not boot up.

I am going to do a bit more testing and troubleshooting over the weekend. I am thinking that we may be booting the OS, but it may not be getting a valid network configuration or driver, so that is my next step in troubleshooting.

This is very hard to troubleshoot since Kimsufi won't let us have KVM/IPMI.

Another alternative for the time being would be to use Esxi (Kimsufi will install it) and you can create a Windows VM on there, but with slight performance downgrade.

Will let you know what I find out.

-Andrew

Posted : March 11, 2022 9:33 pm
Firav
(@firav)
Topic starter

@apowers98

Sorry to hear that you're having the same issue!
Ultimately, I went the route of installing Proxmox 7 and installing a Windows Server VM on that. While it has slight performance depredations, its negligible in the scope that I'll be using it for. Sorry that I'm not much help!

Posted : March 12, 2022 8:23 pm
(@apowers98)

@firav 

I did a bit of testing and got nowhere. I installed ESXi as I have used that in the past, and did a VM through that as well.

Eventually, I ended up switching to Hetzner, not as many locations, but the similar price, no setup fee, and 1Gbit network. Windows install was very smooth on there, with Raid 1 working as well.

Sorry I wasn't much help either.

-Andrew

Posted : March 12, 2022 11:02 pm
Share: