Windows 10 on Contabo SSD VPS  

edrock200

First off, thank you to the authors/contributors of this site who have created the awesome guides and images.

I'm sure there is an easier way to do this, but my searches yielded no results, so I'm posting this in case someone else is trying to this. If there is an easier way, please feel free to trump my post with updated instructions/links.

Contabo appears to use virtio-scsi drivers for their SSD VPS, and I could not find a Win10 image, but did find a way to get it done with the guides here. Here's the high level steps I took:

Look at the VirtIO-SCSI instructions on this site for Windows 7 (at this time, I believe this is the only -scsi image available, others are marked "coming soon.")

Follow the instructions to get this image installed on your contabo SSD VPS, but change /dev/sdb at the end of the install statement to /dev/sda.

Reboot your VPS and login. Note, it will not be happy. Things like Event Viewer and other basic services will fail to load, and the system may even bug check if left on for a few hours, so you'll want to perform the next steps immediately after the image is loaded.

Download and install the latest virtio-scsi drivers (google proxmox virtio drivers, contabo uses proxmox as well.)

Download the Windows 10 image (free) from Microsoft's website. When you launch the downloader, do not tell it to upgrade Win7, tell it to create an iso. Once complete, mount the iso and copy the contents out to your c drive. From that folder you just copied to your C drive, run the setup.exe, which will kick off the windows 10 install. During the install, I chose to "erase everything" with regards to my previous settings/OS. Windows seemed resilient enough to keep the drivers it needed however. It also will ask you for a valid key, so you can register windows properly using this process. Once complete, Windows 10 came up without issue and has been very stable ever since. Even better, Contabo's CPU configuration is 2 sockets. I have the "top" vps package so it's 2 sockets, 5 cores each for 10 cores total, and 50gb ram. Windows 10 can see and use all ram, storage and cpu's. I note this because some other VPS providers present each core as a socket, and Windows 10 will only support up to 2 sockets.

Anyway, hope this may help someone along the way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2017 4:44 pm vmmo96 liked
ihadp
Admin, Founder Admin
Posted by: edrock200

First off, thank you to the authors/contributors of this site who have created the awesome guides and images.

I'm sure there is an easier way to do this, but my searches yielded no results, so I'm posting this in case someone else is trying to this. If there is an easier way, please feel free to trump my post with updated instructions/links.

Contabo appears to use virtio-scsi drivers for their SSD VPS, and I could not find a Win10 image, but did find a way to get it done with the guides here. Here's the high level steps I took:

Look at the VirtIO-SCSI instructions on this site for Windows 7 (at this time, I believe this is the only -scsi image available, others are marked "coming soon.")

Follow the instructions to get this image installed on your contabo SSD VPS, but change /dev/sdb at the end of the install statement to /dev/sda.

Reboot your VPS and login. Note, it will not be happy. Things like Event Viewer and other basic services will fail to load, and the system may even bug check if left on for a few hours, so you'll want to perform the next steps immediately after the image is loaded.

Download and install the latest virtio-scsi drivers (google proxmox virtio drivers, contabo uses proxmox as well.)

Download the Windows 10 image (free) from Microsoft's website. When you launch the downloader, do not tell it to upgrade Win7, tell it to create an iso. Once complete, mount the iso and copy the contents out to your c drive. From that folder you just copied to your C drive, run the setup.exe, which will kick off the windows 10 install. During the install, I chose to "erase everything" with regards to my previous settings/OS. Windows seemed resilient enough to keep the drivers it needed however. It also will ask you for a valid key, so you can register windows properly using this process. Once complete, Windows 10 came up without issue and has been very stable ever since. Even better, Contabo's CPU configuration is 2 sockets. I have the "top" vps package so it's 2 sockets, 5 cores each for 10 cores total, and 50gb ram. Windows 10 can see and use all ram, storage and cpu's. I note this because some other VPS providers present each core as a socket, and Windows 10 will only support up to 2 sockets.

Anyway, hope this may help someone along the way.

Awesome!

How well is Windows running for you on their platform, nice and smooth?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2017 4:50 pm
edrock200

It works great! it's been rock solid and stable since I did the Windows 10 install. The specs/cost of their VPS are really good too. I use the 1.2GB SSD VPS, with the 10 cores and 50gb of ram it's been running all my apps with cycles to spare. Thanks again for the images/site!

Edited: 2 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2017 6:52 am
ihadp
Admin, Founder Admin
Posted by: edrock200

It works great! it's been rock solid and stable since I did the Windows 10 install. The specs/cost of their VPS are really good too. I use the 1.2GB SSD VPS, with the 10 cores and 50gb of ram it's been running all my apps with cycles to spare. Thanks again for the images/site!

Fantastic news!

Thanks again for sharing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2017 5:34 pm
vmmo96

i am very interested in this method

someone test this method ? is this working ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2017 6:51 am
ihadp
Admin, Founder Admin
Posted by: vmmo96

i am very interested in this method

someone test this method ? is this working ?

Unfortunately I haven't had time to test it personally, however it should work as outlined above 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2017 6:52 am

Working

Please Login or Register