Windows on Hetzner Cloud

10 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
26.5 K Views
(@spywork)
Topic starter

Hi, 

Anyone have tried to install a Windows template in Hetzner Cloud? I tested some template and nothing work well. Can suggest some working template? 

Posted : January 25, 2018 11:51 pm
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: spywork

Hi, 

Anyone have tried to install a Windows template in Hetzner Cloud? I tested some template and nothing work well. Can suggest some working template? 

Do you know which virtualization technology they use?

Posted : January 26, 2018 1:06 am
(@spywork)
Topic starter

Posted by: SysAdmin

No. But nested virtualization is disabled and CPU kvm emulation too.

root@testing ~ # /tmp/kvm-ok INFO: Your CPU does not support KVM extensions KVM acceleration can NOT be used

Posted : January 26, 2018 1:34 am
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: spywork

No. But nested virtualization is disabled and CPU kvm emulation too.

root@testing ~ # /tmp/kvm-ok INFO: Your CPU does not support KVM extensions KVM acceleration can NOT be used

There isn't a need for nested virtualization to run our Microsoft Windows templates, so all good there.

One of the two KVM templates should work, it will be down to finding out if they are using VirtIO or VirtIO-SCSI for their disk controller.

Posted : January 26, 2018 10:29 am
(@davownz)

There isn't a need for nested virtualization to run our Microsoft Windows templates, so all good there.

One of the two KVM templates should work, it will be down to finding out if they are using VirtIO or VirtIO-SCSI for their disk controller.

Could you please give a short tutorial or help me how to start?

I'm trying it since a few hours and i am not able to do it.

I can also provide you a vps on hetzner cloud if you want.

---

My current status is that i a) think that they are using VirtIO-SCSI and b) they have iso images for windows server and virtio-win drivers but you can only load one iso image at once so both isos dont help very much.

Posted : February 3, 2018 9:32 pm
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: davownz

Could you please give a short tutorial or help me how to start?

I'm trying it since a few hours and i am not able to do it.

I can also provide you a vps on hetzner cloud if you want.

---

My current status is that i a) think that they are using VirtIO-SCSI and b) they have iso images for windows server and virtio-win drivers but you can only load one iso image at once so both isos dont help very much.

Please send an email to support -at- whatuptime.com.

Posted : February 4, 2018 8:14 am
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

A special thank you to @davownz for providing access to their Hetzner cloud server for testing purposes!

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to say our VirtIO-SCSI templates are fully operational on Hetzner's cloud servers!

1. Create your Hetzner cloud server
  2. Once your cloud server has been deployed you will need to boot it into recovery mode using the client area
  3. Once your cloud server has rebooted in recovery mode you will need to log into it via SSH using the credentials provided when you chose to boot into recovery mode.
  4. Once connected to SSH you can good to begin the template installation:
    wget -O-  http://mirror.whatuptime.com/xxxxxx/2016_STD_x64_Eval_English_VirtIO-SCSI_12-2017.gz  | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Please take note that you need to install it to /dev/sda as opposed to /dev/sdb provided on the templates download page.

5. When the template finishes installing you will need to reboot your cloud server via the client area.
  6. Within a few minutes you should be all set to connect using Remote Desktop like normal.

The IP is automatically configured via DHCP, so you shouldn't have to do anything else. You can check the status of your server booting up Microsoft Windows using their console (top right of the client area).

Enjoy!

Posted : February 4, 2018 11:03 pm
Viro_Major and l0gge reacted
(@l0gge)

I just signed up to say thank you. Last week I already tried to install my own template on the new Hetzner servers and had no luck with it. With your help, I had a machine up and running in no time.

If only I'd discovered this site sooner! 😉

Posted : February 6, 2018 2:27 pm
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: l0gge

I just signed up to say thank you. Last week I already tried to install my own template on the new Hetzner servers and had no luck with it. With your help, I had a machine up and running in no time.

If only I'd discovered this site sooner! 😉

You are most welcome, glad it's working for you!

Posted : February 6, 2018 3:00 pm
(@ovhuser20199)

The link seems to be dead

Will this work on a 2.5eu server hetzner cloud?

Posted : January 21, 2019 8:04 pm
Share: