Clear all

[Solved] Creare droplet from Virtual Box VM

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@arrafa20)
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I have a situación where i am attemping to export (clone) my current Windows server 2008 virtual box VM to DO because there are several registry Keys and software that i cannot just copy to a New server.

Is possible create a template for DO from this virtual box VM?. If so can you provide some guidelines please

Posted : December 27, 2016 5:37 am
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: arrafa20

Hello everyone,

I have a situación where i am attemping to export (clone) my current Windows server 2008 virtual box VM to DO because there are several registry Keys and software that i cannot just copy to a New server.

Is possible create a template for DO from this virtual box VM?. If so can you provide some guidelines please

Welcome to WhatUpTime!

In theory it should be possible, however you will have a few hurdles to overcome.

1) You will need to have the VirtIO drivers installed for the version of Windows you are running. You can download the VirtIO drivers here -  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers

2) You will need to resize your virtual disk to be smaller than the package you plan to purchase from DigitalOcean to avoid issues with cloning.

Once you have the above squared away you should be all set to boot your virtual machine to a live linux disk and create a disk image using DD.

Good luck!

Posted : December 27, 2016 11:33 am
(@arrafa20)
Topic starter

Hi ihadp,

Thanks for answer, did you implemented this before? If so, is there any way i can contact you directly (skype or something like that) so you can help me to get this done?

Posted : December 27, 2016 3:16 pm
(@sysadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: arrafa20

Hi ihadp,

Thanks for answer, did you implemented this before? If so, is there any way i can contact you directly (skype or something like that) so you can help me to get this done?

You're welcome!

I haven't tried to do perform the exact migration you are needing to do, however it is the same basic concept as we use to build our templates here on WUT.

Unfortunately I do not provide one on one assistance at present, however you are more than welcome to post here in the forums and I will do my best to assist.

Posted : December 28, 2016 3:36 am
Share: