Installing Microsoft Windows to Online.net’s (www.online.net) Personal Range, specifically XC 2016 and SC 2016, of dedicated server’s is impossible using conventional methods due to the lack of a KVM console with video output, however Windows can still be installed!
We, the volunteers here at WhatUpTime, has built special templates allowing Windows to be installed via Online.net’s rescue system; their rescue system is included with all of their servers.
The guide below will walk you through the entire process, from beginning to end. Once you have reached the end of the guide your server will be successfully running Microsoft Windows Operating System.
Additional assistance is available via our community forums.
Tools You Need
- SSH Client (Putty is an excellent choice)
- Online.net Personal Range Dedicated Server (XC 2016 or SC 2016)
- Remote Desktop Client (RDP) – “Remote Desktop” Client is built into all Windows Operating Systems
- Log into your Online.net Control Panel
- Once you have logged in, you will need to navigate to your server list (Login –> Server –> Server List)
- Choose “Manage” to the right of your dedicated server in the list.
- Choose “Rescue”
- Choose “Ubuntu 14.04 amd64” from the drop down menu.
- Choose “Click Here to Launch Rescue System”.
- Your server is now being restarted and will shortly boot into Online.net’s rescue mode.
- Once you have chosen “Click Here to Launch the Rescue System” Online.net’s control panel will load a new web page which includes all the access information for rescue mode. You will access rescue mode for your server via SSH (Putty is an excellent SSH client); the guide will detail how to connect in the steps below.
- Now that your server has booted into rescue mode we can connect via SSH using the following steps.
- Start Putty
- Input your server’s IP address
- Choose “Open” at the bottom.
- Once you chose “Open” Putty will transform into a new, all black Window. At the very top left of the window you will find the prompt “Login as:”; here you will need to input the username provided on the system rescue page (See point #8 above) and hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Once you have entered the username you will be prompted for a password, here again you will need to navigate to your system rescue page (See point #8 above) and grab the password provided. You will then need to enter the password at the prompt and choose “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Once you have entered your username and password you will be successfully logged into the system rescue for your server.
- Start Putty
- At the prompt you will need to enter the following command:
Once you have typed in the command, choose “Enter” on your keyboard.
- You will now be prompted for a password, here again you will need to navigate to your system rescue page (See point #8 above) and grab the password provided. You will then need to enter the password at the prompt and choose “Enter” on your keyboard.
- You have now successfully connected to the rescue mode for your server and used “sudo” to gain root access allowing for Windows to be installed.
- To begin the Windows installation you will need to input the following command into your SSH client. Please ensure the command matches perfectly otherwise your installation will likely fail.
- Content Locked, Donation Required -
To access the remaining steps in this tutorial we require a small donation via PayPal using the form below.
Once your donation has been received our system will automatically dispatch an email containing your unique activation link. In utilizing your activation link you will gain access to ALL locked content on WhatUpTime.com.
PLEASE NOTE: The email with your unique activation link will be sent to the email address you use on the form below!
Why forced donations?
Unfortunately due to the rising costs of operations we are forced to require a small donation from our readers to ensure all services remain online. All donations received go toward our ongoing operational costs (servers, bandwidth, development, licensing, etc.) and we greatly appreciate every dollar received!
Need Donation Assistance?
Please contact us using our contact form here. We strive to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours, your patience is greatly appreciated!
Please do understand all activation links automatically expire after thirty (30) days.
You may donate as often as you desire to gain an additional thirty (30) days of access to all locked content.
Please input your email address and dollar amount below, then choose "Continue".Installing Microsoft Windows onto Online.net Personal Range (XC 2016 & SC 2016)